At the Yahng Discovery Center (YDC), one of our purposes is to support STEM-H outreach to the local community and K-12 schools within the counties of Southeastern Kentucky. To this end, we have created the YDC Teaching Associate opportunity for students who are in a STEM course or an Education Studies major and are interested in engaging students in cool STEM activities. Associates will have the opportunity to teach our STEM-H curriculum in the Center and engage local students and teachers. We believe this would be a great opportunity for students who are pursuing an education in STEM or who aspire to be an educator at any level.
- Current enrollment in a STEM course or participation in an Education Studies program
- Pass a criminal background check
- Interest in learning how to teach STEM-H topics in a hands-on environment
- Fill out an application on our website (https://www.berea.edu/discoverycenter/).
- Complete (or submit evidence of) a background check.
- Schedule training with YDC staff.
- Co-teach with YDC staff until you’re ready to work alone.
- Watch associated planetarium shows.
- Read curriculum documents and teacher materials.
- Complete activities as a participant.
- Co-teach with YDC staff.